Levi Wright Has Died After Being Removed from Life Support, Family Friend Says

Levi Wright, the 3-year-old son of rodeo star Spencer Wright and mom Kallie Wright, who was hospitalized in critical condition after he drove his toy tractor into a Utah river on May 21, has died

Published Time: 04.06.2024 - 04:31:04 Modified Time: 04.06.2024 - 04:31:04

Levi Wright, the 3-year-old son of rodeo star Spencer Wright and mom Kallie Wright, who was hospitalized in critical condition after he drove his toy tractor into a Utah river on May 21, has died.

Levi died on Sunday, June 2, after he was removed from life support, family friend Mindy Sue Clark confirms to PEOPLE. "Levi was the absolute best little boy. It's going to be tough navigating life without him," Clark says.

"I cannot even begin to explain how hard the last two weeks have been. From the moment my phone rang the night of his accident, to last night receiving the message that he had to go," Clark wrote in a heartbreaking post on Monday, June 3.

"I don’t want to focus on the bad or sad, even though it feels like someone ripped my heart out and squeezed it right in front of me. I want to focus on the many miracles we all got to bear witness to in those 12 days," she added. "Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people surrounded our best little buddy, lifted him up in prayer, and threw their loving arms around Levi and his family."

Clark went on to remember Levi as "the most perfect three year old there ever was."

"He brought so many people together. In a world so dark, we got to see light at the hands of a child. He’s everything his mom and dad could’ve wanted him to be," she added. "I am so thankful for all the time I got to be his 'aunt Mindy.' That is a blessing I will never be able to top. I’m also so thankful my last visit to Utah, even though I was so tired, that I stayed awake a little longer to do s’mores with the kids. It’s all they had talked about all day that day."

Kallie, Levi’s mother, had previously shared a heartbreaking updated on June 2 that the family would be “letting him go.”

“After several sleepless nights, lots of research, multiple conversations with the world's best neurologists & millions of prayers we are here in the face of our biggest fear,” she wrote.

“Levi showed us just enough to buy us time for all of this,” she continued. “We prayed those things were him defying odds & proving to us that he wanted to stay here but we see now he wanted to give us time to find peace with letting him go. I told you my baby was thoughtful & considerate, I truly believe he did that for us.”

As for the impact Levi's story has had on those around the world, she added, “During this time he brought out humanity across the nation, he dropped so many to their knees & reminded them what truly matters in this world. It kind of gives that T-rex strength a whole new meaning, doesn't it?”

 “We will miss him every second of every day down here but feel without unwav -

ering doubt this is the best thing we can do for him!" she added. "We love you baby beans and I can't wait till the day you can 'work the ground' with me again!”

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Kallie’s announcement came days after she shared on Thursday, May 30, that Levi wasback under sedationafter “he did not handle” being weaned off it.

"It was heartbreaking to watch & he is now heavily sedated until the next step,” she wrote. “The MRI is tomorrow. It may show a difference from the first, it may not. We are checking & double checking all we can!”

“Again, Levi is our number 1 priority in all of this," she added. "We are having several conversations a day with doctors, rehabs, neurologists etc to help us better serve him!"

According to a May 21 statement from the Beaver County Sheriff’s Office, authorities responded to a call about the incident involving the 3-year-old, later identified as Levi. The sheriff’s office said that the boy had driven his toy tractor in the river.

“Life saving measures were administered on scene," the sheriff's office statement read, noting that Levi was transported to Beaver Valley Hospital and later airlifted to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City.

On May 26, Kallie shared in a Facebook post that the family was "taking it day by day" after they disclosed they had been "shattered" by Levi's MRI results.

"This is an experience, I pray deep in my soul you never have to know the way I am beginning to," Kallie, a mom of three, wrote then. “This is a roller coaster that you go on unwillingly & blindfolded, you do not know what's coming next. "You just get to wait & ride it out. We are taking it day by day."

“No two brain injuries are alike, even if the accident is similar. No two brains recover or don't recover the same. There is a lot Medical Professionals don't know, but what they do tell you is based off legitimate medical literature & history," Kallie wrote.

She also expressed gratitude to the medical staff amid the family's ordeal, adding: "Whether that is time to see if God provides a miracle to us or whether it's time for us to research, learn and process this all in order to make the most informed decisions. Every decision that Levi's Dad and I will make will be made based on what, we the two people who know him best believe he would want. In all this, he comes first."

Follow Us