‘His Body and My Neck’: Woman Partially Paralyzed After Singer’s Stage Dive Recalls Accident

A 24-year-old woman who was left partially paralyzed after a singer dived into the crowd during his band's set is speaking out about what happened

Published Time: 14.05.2024 - 17:31:14 Modified Time: 14.05.2024 - 17:31:14

A 24-year-old woman who was left partially paralyzed after a singer dived into the crowd during his band's set is speaking out about what happened.

Bird Piché was attending the show of Australian band Trophy Eyes at Mohawk Place in Buffalo, New York on April 30 when she suffered a “catastrophic spinal cord injury," according to theIndependent.

“When you hear about these types of injuries, they're obviously very serious, so I didn't expect to have any recovery," Piché told NBC News on May 13 from her hospital bed.

Revealing that she never blacked out during the moment, she continued of Trophy Eyes frontman John Floreani leaping backwards into the audience, “It was, like, his body and my neck. It was a crowd-surfing thing.”

"It's pretty typical at these kinds of shows," Piché — who has been a fan of the band since 2016 — told the outlet. "I didn't really know what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect to be in a hospital after the concert."

"I have a long road ahead, but I'm very optimistic right now," she added.

Piché also told the outlet that she had regained her "gross motor skills," including basic movements of her arms and legs, but she also hopes to regain her "fine motor skills" too.

“So my legs, it's involuntary, have been kicking a lot lately. I can't control it," she said. "My arms, they're — besides my hand dexterity — almost fully there. My fingers don't have full movement."

She also revealed that the medical specialists predict she'll have a “full recovery of everything,” though “nothing is certain.”

According to NBC News, Piché, along with her mother and stepfather, declined to comment when asked if they would be taking legal action, stating that their main focus was on her -

recovery. "We were even worried she wasn't going to make it," Piché's mom Amy Leigh Flaminio told the outlet.

A GoFundMe page that was set up for Piché has so far raised over $71,000 of the $100,000 goal to help with her recovery.

"She has a long recovery ahead and will need all the help she can get," the page's description reads. "It is still too early to know what her prognosis is but after leaving the hospital she will need to go to a rehab facility. She will obviously not be able to work during this time."

Meanwhile, Mohawk Place, where the incident took place, revealed in a statement to PEOPLE that the venue "has a very strict no stage diving or crowd surfing policy."

"There are signs posted everywhere in the venue and notice was included in the s for this show with the show's promoter and the band themselves,” the statement read. “Our policy and practiced procedure is a full show stop for any stage diving which was put into place for this incident."

PEOPLE also contacted Trophy Eyes’ management and the GoFundMe organizers for comment, but they did not immediately respond.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

However, the band released a statement about the incident on X (formerly known as Twitter): “As a result of a tragic accident on the night of April 30th, a Trophy Eyes fan was injured at our Buffalo NY show,” the post read. “We elected to immediately shut down the show as John Floreani, frontman accompanied them to the hospital with their family.”

They also directed fans to the GoFundMe page.

Related Articles

Follow Us